A406 North Circular: Bridge Lane to Golders Green Road and Golders Green Road/Brent Street junction
We are proposing improvements for pedestrians and cyclists along the A406 North Circular from Bridge Lane to Golders Green Road and at the A406 junction with Golders Green Road and Brent Street. The proposals include converting some sections of footway to shared use for pedestrian and cyclists, and a new staggered shared pedestrian/cycle ‘toucan’ crossing on the westbound carriageway, adjacent to the Woodlands retaining wall.
The proposals for the crossing are in response to safety concerns that pedestrians are crossing the A406 independently and using the central reservation as a waiting area, rather than using the pedestrian footbridge located at the junction. The existing pedestrian footbridge will remain as a secondary crossing point for pedestrians and dismounted cyclists to use.
We propose the following:
- A new ‘toucan’ crossing for pedestrians and cyclists on the A406 North Circular westbound carriageway, adjacent to A406 Woodlands retaining wall. This would involve widening the central reservation by 4 metres to accommodate the crossing, central waiting area and guard railing, which in turn would require minor widening of the carriageway into the footway on the north west corner of the junction
- New shared use footway for pedestrian and cyclists at the A406 junction with Golders Green Road and Brent Street. This would involve resurfacing the footways on three of the four corners of the junction to ensure surface consistency; we would also resurface the footway north of the junction to link to our current footway works at the Woodlands retaining wall. Signage and tactile paving would be used
- Improve the shared use footway facilities from south of Bridge Lane to link to existing shared use facilities north of Courtleigh Gardens. This would involve resurfacing the footway to ensure surface consistency and adding new signage
- Build a retaining wall to enable widening of the footway into the grass verge embankment just south of Bridge Lane
- Widen the existing unsignalised crossing located across Golders Green Road to 3.2 metres to enhance facilities for the north/south movement
- Introduce Advanced Stop Lines for cyclists on the Brent Street and Golders Green Road approaches